home.made.

So, this past week has been an adventure into the world of homemade. SInce we are trying to organic and it can be quite expensive, I've been researching ways to make it more cost-effective.

The first little project was a shampoo/body wash. I looked at few recipes online, and then made some modifications.
At EarthFare you can buy items such as oils, soap, and bath salts in bulk and they also have some clear containers that are perfect for homemade creations! The containers are free if you're buying bulk items, but a small price if not - and they're re-usable! The basics for this recipe involves castile soap (I used liquid because it's easier), some essential oils (lemon/lavender zum oil at EF), and water. In a 20 oz. container, I mixed 1/4 cup castile soap, about 2-3 tsp of oil, and filled the rest with warm water. Shake to mix well.
I've used it a little over a week now, and for the most part I really like it! If you try this, be careful with the ratios and make sure you rinse well, or it will leave your hair looking oily. Note that this also doesn't have a ton of lather with it, but none the less cleans very well!

Joey made some shaving cream last night, and I made some hairspray today. I'll let ya know how it goes as I haven't used either yet! We did make a video of the shaving cream experience last night, but for some reason I can't get it to load. Hopefully, we'll get it posted soon!

If you want to check out some more recipes, take a look at Life123 and Pioneer Thinking !
As far as expenses go on some of these recipes, some items may be a higher front end cost, but it lasts for a loooong time. For instance, 2 of the oils we bought for shaving cream were between 8 and 9 bucks for a 16 or 20 ounce jar, but the recipe only calls for a teaspoons or tablespoons. We'll be able to go for a while before having to buy any new ingredients! (that is, if it works well, I guess!....)

 

1 comments:

Tiffanie Paige said...

UPDATE: used the hairspray, love it! used the shaving cream, and eh.... we need to improve on the recipe we used.