and the ORGANIC trail continues with birth control!

actually, the story behind the blog post today began a few months back..... i just haven't blogged about it yet!

After Joey and I became engaged, we began to have the obvious discussions of what to do about birth control. I did research, hours and hours of it. Joey did research. We researched together.
I was NOT crazy about using traditional birth control pills. If you read the last post, then you know we are making the transition to going all organic, as we can. Even before, I like being healthy. Eating healthy, moving my body to stay active, and I oh so rarely will ever take any kind of medicine. Not even over the counter stuff, unless I'm pretty desperate. I just am not crazy about the idea of putting lots of things in my body that are synthetic.

*Before I go on, let me make a disclaimer that isn't necessarily a spiritual conviction for me. I don't think it's sin to take meds; I just don't happen to like doing it. As far back as I can remember, I've always been this way. Ask my momma.

Anyway, we thought we found a solution when studying up on the IUD (Intra-uterine device) that would work best for us. This is a pretty well known device that is placed in the uterus to prevent pregnancy and last up to about 5 years. You only have to check it once a month to ensure that it's still in place and you're good to go. Some forms release hormones but we found one that did not. As with every birth control option, there are always possibilities of some form of malfunction or complication. With the IUD, it can become lodged in the uterus causing a lot of pain and can leave a woman totally infertile. Now, this is a very, very rare occurrence but it can happen. Even with that, I thought it was worth the risk because we wouldn't have to worry too much about birth control. And it's a one time expense, or would have been for us anyway. We're hoping to wait about 5 years before having a little tiny. But then, our great little plan came to a crashing halt. The more research I did, the more I learned that it was a controversial BC method due to the fact that some see it as abortive. The reasoning behind this is because if an egg is fertilized by sperm, the new little creation cannot attach itself to the uterine wall (because of the device) and therefore, ceases to be. (There are some pregnancies even with the IUD, and also a number or miscarriages as well.) Joey and I prayed and prayed and researched and researched and prayed, and we came to the conclusion that this just wasn't a good option for us. Now, please don't misunderstand me - I have a few godly, Jesus loving friends who use this and are ok with it, and it has worked great for them! But the thing is, we have to go with Scripture and our own consciences to see where God is leading us. And for Joey and I, the IUD got kicked off the options list.

Honestly, it was pretty discouraging. It seems like there are no great BC methods and really, I guess it kind of makes sense. God designed us to reproduce and it's really difficult to try and halt those natural processes.

So back to square one we go. More research. More praying. And repeat....

When we got to Tennessee, we decided to go see a doctor and have some informed discussion about out options. I specifically requested someone at this particular practice who was on board with natural, holistic methods in her practice. I was assured that I was getting a great fit with a Dr. Turns out, she looks pretty earthy, but she isn't really convinced that anything natural is a viable option. Over a tough conversation, we walk out with a prescription for birth control. I really wasn't wild about it, but I felt like we had no other option so I reasoned that I would try it and see how it goes at least until we'd been married for a little while and then we could reevaluate. Honest to goodness, on the first night I had to take it, I cried. Yes, I cried. And my sweet fiance ever so tenderly consoled me and said that if he could take them, he would. I just didn't feel good about it. Trying to do what I thought had to be done, I started taking it and....... well, let's just say that I turned into a crazy-head. I was so emotional, I was driving myself wild. I even broke down in tears when my boss was in my office - and over nothing! Thankfully, he didn't fire me, haha! Joey and I decided together that nothing was worth this insanity, so back to the doctor I go. Well, actually I just called. They switched my prescription to a lower dose, and thankfully the crazy-head syndrome went away. But, this new BC gave me a whole new kind of issue! However, even as real as I'm being in this blog post, I am not bold enough to disclose what the new irritant was. ;) So, What were we to do?!
Alas, back to research and praying we go. Still taking the BC. Researching. Praying. Then, we found it....

We had frolicked with the idea of using a form of natural family planning early on. And then abandoned it. And then, we returned. Still on the BC pills, I basically decided to use them to switch my cycle, anticipating good, no great, timing for our wedding, and then stop using it. And that's what I did; the whole BC pills process start to finish lasted about 2 or 3 weeks. Just long enough to use them, then lose them!

I'm aware that there are a lot of nay-sayers out there about using a natural method for family planning, and I've heard the jokes. "What do you call someone who uses natural family planning?" "Parents." Ba.ha.ha.

But there are some great resources out there, and when used correctly, it's an effective, natural form of birth control. There's a book called "Taking Charge Of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler that offers a lot of great info. This book is a national bestseller, has been around for awhile, and in my opinion is a must read for every woman. I'm learning so many new things about my body, fertility, and all around health. This promotes a type of family planning called Fertility Awareness Method (FAM) which teaches you the signs of when you are the most fertile (and it's way more than just checking temperatures girls!). You can learn not only to track a pattern of your body, but signs in which you can be specific of when you are most apt to conceive. The idea is that around the time of ovulation, a woman either abstains from intercourse (generally if someone has moral issues against BC, this is the route they will take) OR otherwise uses a back-up method like condoms. It is work; not a ton, but some. Every morning, I have to try and make my not-yet-cohesive-brain try to remember to take my temperature, before I even get out of bed. There is some charting involved and some other signs to look for. But honestly, this is how women planned their families for years and years. They knew their bodies.

Even though it is a bit of work, it is totally worth it (or at least I say that now, while unmarried lol). Seriously though, Joey and I feel confident with the method that we've chosen to plan our family (or for us, plan to wait a few years down the road to expand our family). It's natural, it's effective (if used properly), and it's pretty cheap. All in all, a win. Go Team Wilson!

 

9 comments:

Andrea said...

I know I turned you onto the "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" book - did you also purchase the software? It's a must if you go this route - it's something you can visually see and keep track of - also offers great information. Also, Trey said, "they can use condoms all month long and still be organic." Just a thought...they have to make 'green' condoms. To quote Dr. Malcom, played by Jeff Goldblum, "life always finds a way." From one woman who charted a long time (but used condoms regularly) to another, it's a great way to learn about your body - but paranoia kicked in really hard...SO, stock up on dollar store pregnancy tests. Your brain will need them...

Tiffanie Paige said...

Hahaha! I can so hear Trey saying that! And yep - he's right; we will be using condoms, but are planning on doing that only when necessary. We haven't found "green" ;) ones yet, but I'm sure we'll talk more of that when it gets REALLY close to our wedding. ;)
The software came with the book but it's windows based so I haven't ben able to use on the Mac. However, Joey just installed parallels on my computer tonight so that I can run both operating systems now. I'm glad you mentioned that because I needed Windows for a program for work, but I hadn't yet thought of the fact that I'll be able to use the software now! thanks!
Oh, and as for the pregnancy scares and the stocking up on tests like it's water for Y2K, did you read the part about when you ovulate your temperature spikes and remains there until the next day one of your cycle and then drops, and that the time between ovulation and day one is always the same. exactly. ovulation date changes but the time period the two does not. normally that time period is between 12 and 16 days, so if a woman goes a day or two past her norm with continued high temps, odds are there's a baby in the belly! so maybe that will help me keep my wits about me! ;)

Andrea said...

Your environment and schedule also affect your luteneal phase so typically they say if your temps are high for a week past the norm then take a test. You might see a change in the temps and the days of your two cycles just by changes in your schedule and environment. The software will help out a lot with figuring it all out. I used it to get pregnant so my figuring it all out served a different purpose haha :) I kept some charts though if you ever have questions.

Tiffanie Paige said...

thanks Andrea! yeah, you now i bet i would freak out if a fever just happened around that same time! that actually happened last month; i had a bit of a fever. obviously I had nothing to worry about since no sex = no worries about pregnancy lol, but it was good to realize that possibility before i freak out, haha.

Teresa said...

Tiffanie - What a great blog!!! Thanks!!! This was a process that we went through a few years ago when we got married. We started out on BC, but I just hated what it was doing to my body, so we stopped. We have been using the book that you refer to! I LOVE it!!!! I would recommend ALL women to read it!
There is also a device (mostly popular in Europe) that helps with the natural method. It's a little palm sized computer with a thermometer attached. You take your temperature with it and it does all the charting for you! My friend uses it and loves it!

Tiffanie Paige said...

It's so interesting to find out just how many women use this method; it's quite more than most think!
i'm curious as to what that device is... do you have the name for it? i currently use a combo of my iphone, an app, and my Mac to track it. and that's working great so far!

Teresa said...

It is called the LadyComp. I found it on one website: http://www.raxmedical.com/ But I"m sure you can find it in other places as well. It has a high up-front cost; but you can use it indefinitely. At the time we were considering it we were paying $50/month for BC so this would pay for itself in a matter of months.

Unknown said...

Hey Tiffanie!
I would just like to add my 2cents worth! lol! I really agree with your comment where you said,"God designed us to reproduce, and it's really difficult to try and halt the process." That is very true... and according to the Scriptures, God has commanded us to be fruitful and multiply. Now I do not want to say that meds are sin or anything like that! I realize that in some cases it is necessary. However, I would like to make a proposition...
First, God designed humans not only to reproduce, but He designed us so that we want, and even desire to know our spouses intimately!
Secondly, God has given us the command to be fruitful and multiply! Not only that, but He tells us that children are blessing from the Lord.
Thirdly, it really boils down to a difficult issue. If the both of the first 2 propositions are true, then do we trust God enough to allow Him control of every area of our lives? He created us with the need and desire for sex... and He has told us do that in marriage... so do we trust Him enough that He will provide and take care of us... and our little ones? :) Just something to think about... -Shawn P.S. Do oyu think I had too much Bible school? LOL!

Tiffanie Paige said...

Thanks for your input Shawn. Honestly, surprising to see a guy comment on this one; well except for my Mr.! lol. So, way to offer your thoughts boldly! Nah, not too much Bible college, it just really makes you think through all kinds of issues from a Biblical perspective! Hope you're well!