God, the tanning bed, and getting evenly cooked

I wanted to get a little bit of a tan before graduation. So as not to resemble
Casper in the pictures, I decided to go to the fake and bake for a few sessions. Five to
be exact. Sessions one, two, and three went fairly well. Hadnʼt gotten myself fried.
Could tell I was getting a hint of color. Pretty good overall. Well, for session four I
decided to up the time limit so I would get my moneyʼs worth, right?! And I did. I was a
bit burnt, but still not a lobster. I was pleased with my most recent session and was
smiling at my newly forming little tan...until I saw them. The two bare white patches right
at my chest/armpit. How in the world did those not et tan?!, I wondered. Then, I realized
it....”the girls” were covering up those spots while I was tanning! Ok, now I had to
strategize to use my next (and last) number five session. I did what any rational girl
would do and sought out the advice of a couple girlfriends who are regular tanners.
They gave me some great tips and I was ready to go back and get evened out.
Between some shifting around and awkward positions, it worked; I came out with an
even color!
This got me to thinking though and I found some similarities in my spiritual life. I
thought about those spots in my life that I donʼt always expose to the light of God. (I
realize that this analogy is completely cheesy, but hey it is what it is!) Ok, back to it...
For whatever reason, there are some parts that seem to stay under the shade of
something else. Possibly because I donʼt realize it or maybe because Iʼm intentionally
hiding those parts that I donʼt want to expose. But truthfully, I want all of me to be laid
bare before God; to surrender every single part of who I am to Him. He is safe. He is
trustworthy. He knows infinitely better than me. I wanted an even bake in the tanning
bed, so why not also desire to be evenly cooked by God?! I continually pray that He
grows me and matures me, and brings me to a place of knowing Him more intimately.
In this growth process (yes, thereʼs that word again!), I donʼt just want to pick and
choose parts that He can sanctify and then hide others. Realistically, and thankfully,
God has an incredible plan to sanctify ALL of me. After all, the work that God starts He
brings to full completion and He is faithful to do so. I can rest in that, and I also want to
cooperate with God regarding what He is doing in me, what He is growing, what He is
changing. I want to be willing to work with Him to shift me around - sometimes finding
myself in awkward positions - for the sake of knowing that God is doing an all over work
in me. :)

 

3 comments:

mom said...

Ha! I have never had that problem!

Tiffanie Paige said...

mmm hmmm.... your white spots are always under those butt cheeks! ;)

mom said...

yeah but they are not as big as they used to be!