hittin' the gym with Jesus

Last year, around this time I was still running outside pretty regularly and getting ready for a March St. Paddy’s Day run. Several times when I was running, I would be on the phone with Jenn whining about how cold I was. I think I only made it through because I had a goal to run that whole race. All 5 miles. And I did! (And maybe also because Jenn called me a wuss. I won’t mention - oh wait yes I will - that she at that point didn’t have to run in super cold weather, because she was soaking up the sun in toasty Tennessee. Now, she’s in Colorado braving the bitter cold - such a trooper!)
After breaking my foot in the early summer, it still hasn’t healed enough for me to run. The thing hurts like crazy after about 15 minutes. I had found a solution in late summer and early autumn with biking - which I have so much fun with! It doesn’t work so well in the ice and snow - at least not for this one! So, after not getting much exercise at the first part of the winter, I began looking aroung for gym memberships.
I’m now once again a member of the YMCA.
Honestly, I don’t particularly like going to the gym. It’s not my favorite thing to stay there for hours and hours. I would much much rather be outside (when it’s warm) getting my workout on. But, in the winter - a whole different story.
In the winter here our days are short and dark. It can be a downer, but folks have their ways of dealing with it. I’ve been known to go to the tanning bed a time or two to just get some light...and to get warm! I’m finding though that working out at the gym makes that so much easier. The Y that I go to most of the time overlooks part of the Spokane River so I have a gorgeous view while I’m on the elliptical. With iPod intact, I finish the rest of my workout.....and actaully I’m finding that I kind of like going to the gym...or at least the effects of going. I have way more energy, I seem to get more accomplished in the day, my overall health and psyche seem better. And honestly, my prayer life is even affected. Let me explain..... One of my absolute favorite times with Jesus is when I’m out on a run or a bike ride. Normally, I pray as I go throughout my day, but in those times I am focused in - and it’s just me and Him. A similar thing happens with journaling, but when I’m getting to be physical - it just seems a bit different. I’m not saying that my whole relationship with God is based on me getting exercise, but for whatever reason - for me, and in this season, it is one of my favorite times with the Lord. I like listening to my iPod and worshipping Him, reflecting on what I’m hearing. Sometimes workouts are when I wrestle out some things with Jesus, other times He uses that to calm me down and give me some perspective.
It’s so interesting how He has wired us differently. Do you have a fave time or thing to do while hanging out with Jesus?

 

0 comments: