etiquette...at the buffet

Today. Megan and I. Local Thai place. Lunchtime buffet.
Someone needing a lesson in buffet etiquette.

After leaving our Round 1 empty lunch plates on our table, Meg and I make our way to the buffet. Once there, we proceed to pick up a fresh plate for Round 2. Following close behind us are two people also going for round 2 -let's call them Guy and Girl, for the sake of their anonymity. I notice that Guy and Girl both have their previous plates from Round 1 in hand; this was a brief noticing on my part that minorly grossed me out, but not the point of commenting, because well, that's just uncalled for. Girl however did not extend the courtesy to Megan and I when she proceeded to comment to Guy about the fact that we were using clean plates for Round 2. Without even attempting to whisper to Guy, Girl says, "It's so rude to use clean plates when you already have one that you can reuse." Seriously? Now, she may be trying to be a conservationist and a Go-Greener, or whatever. For that she gets some applause. But there are reasons why people get fresh plates at the buffet. There are reasons why, when you sit down at your table a clean plate greets you, and also why when you go to the buffet a whole stack of clean plates awaits you. The reasons for this are probably many, but for now I will only share two.
Reasons for a new plate for each trip to the buffet:
#1. Hygiene - When you have already eaten off of your plate and then proceed to have the serving spoon come in contact with your plate only to be placed back in the serving dish - that's just gross. (And might I add that this is somewhat inevitable when attaining a serving of sticky rice; you have to sort of hit it against the plate a little to transfer it from the spoon to the plate.) We prefer cleanliness in our culture, and I would prefer to limit the spreading of germs or at least keep this to a minimum.
#2 Preserving taste of food. Maybe on Round 1 you tried Food item A, which was very tasty, and perhaps on Round 2 you wanted Food item B - also tasty. However, when A and B are mixed together because of a lack of clean plate, the taste is just jacked up and not as pleasant.
There are reasons for fresh plates, reasons that can even be appreciated by the eco-friendly ( which by the way, I have nothing against the eco-friendly. I am even supportive and wish to become more GO Green myself) - but exceptions have to be made when it comes to buffet plates and the proper etiquette with which one should use to partake of community served food.


On the brighter note, I feel that God is sanctifying me in the area of my tongue; It took every bit of me and Jesus working together to keep my mouth shut from telling Girl the truth about etiquette and cleanliness. However, God still needs to work on my heart and on letting things go because obviously, it' still a stirring in me. :)

If anyone is still reading this, I am absolutely shocked. ok, I'm done ranting over something so ridiculous.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tiff, I don't know if I could have been as nice as you were. I might not have said something directly to the couple, but I would have said something to my friend in a voice loud enough so that the couple would have heard me.

Holly said...

Um, EWWWWW. And TOTAL KUDOS to you and Jesus for working together to keep your mouth shut. Because, um, I would not have been so successful.

Anonymous said...

Bahahaha. We are the same person sometimes. I followed this exactly. :) Hope that tongue sanctifying stuff goes well for you.