now, what was that guys name again?

"Hey Joey, now what was that guys name again?"
I asked this question to my fiance this morning as I was driving to work. The no-name, or rather forgotten-named, guy mentioned was a fellow that we met yesterday while trying to get Joey's school crisis figured out.

Honestly, I'm not the greatest at remembering names. I try really hard on most occasions, but even on my best days, I don't get it every time. Yesterday was different.

I realized this morning that the reason that I had not remembered this guy's name is not because I'm just not that great at it, but rather that I didn't really care. Yep, I didn't care who he was, what his story was, or whether he knew Jesus or not. The only thing I cared about in that moment is what Guy could do for Joey in making this school thing happen. Not who he was, but what he could do for us.

God, I pray that you would change this is in me. Change my heart and mind about people. Let me not just look at them for what could do for me - how wicked and selfish - but as who they are, as what they need. Help me to see how I can serve them, and love them well, instead of focusing so much on myself (or even selfishly wanting those I love to get what they want and need).
I know that his job is to be a resource and help, and that is much appreciated. But God, teach me to love like you love, to really love.

 

0 comments: